Pages

09 January 2014

don we now// all mixed up




Being a teacher, I have been dealing with a dress code every year I have been in school, save college. Sometimes it can be a pain, but for the most part, they aren't that unbearable. One way to overcome some of the more daunting rules in a dress code is to wear things that are vivid, full of personality. I try to do this on the daily because I love my job, and I want my students to know that I take pride in my career and in them by getting up every morning and putting myself together. Maybe that doesn't make sense, but suffice it to say, I allow my wardrobe to be another way for my students to know that they are important to me. A creature of habit, one of my "signature moves" as far as my style goes is mixing prints. Peruse my Instagram, and you will see me in a vast array of prints thrown together. I have no shame. Solids were just not made for this heart of mine. #america #liberty #idowhatiwant (but I don't really do what I want, just ask my husband. ha).

Growing up, I learned in Home Ec classes about fashion faux pas and "colors that work well with your skin tone," the do's and don'ts, and the likes. I was always afraid, like many teenagers, that I was wearing the wrong things, wrong colors, wrong everything. What if people stared? What if they thought I was a freak? What if it cost me a date? Back then, I was all about the labels. I was the Abercrombie and Fitch Queen. If it didn't have a big ol' AF or ABERCROMBIE written across the chest, what was the point? I like to think back then that I was trendy, but I didn't really have my own style. Fast forward to going to college in England and living among the natives, and it was then that I fell in love with people with personal style. I saw that, sure, there were trends around, but I didn't feel like there were any RULES. So many people with so much style, wearing their personalities on their sleeves. I found a store there that didn't kill my American checkbook, and before I knew it, my girlfriends and I hit it up a few times a week, and I racked up quite a nice European wardrobe to bring back to the states with me.

So I don't consider myself an authority on style. I just know what works for me and what I like. So, if you dig what I do, then I have a few guidelines for mixing prints. Before you start thinking that mixing prints is "throw anything you want on and it will totally work because you are a rebel," let me just say: no. There needs to be some structure, or you will end up looking like a homemade quilt. So, class, let's begin. 
  • Keep your chin up. No one is going to believe you want to be wearing your outfit if you keep your head down and constantly ask people, "is this ok? do I look alright?" They will either think you are A. fishing for compliments...which isn't cute. or B. fishing for validation...which isn't cute, either. I'm no mathematician, but I would wager that about 75% of having style is all about confidence. How do you expect other people to find it worth wearing if you don't, yourself? If you are not 100% sure about what you are wearing and have a fear of ridicule, DON'T WEAR IT, GIRL. DON'T YOU DARE DO IT.

  • Keep it at most, 3 prints, and one of those should be small and on the neutral side. We all have common sense, but sometimes we forget. I am sure there have been times that I have been out, and people have thought "What is she THINK. ING?" Luckily, the only person I have ever actually heard that from was my mother (hi, Mom. I love you!), which is a whole other blog post. Start off with 2 prints and work your way up. Again, don't go over 3 prints, or you run into clown territory, and no one wants to be The Clown **unless you truly do want to be THE clown and are planning to run away with the circus;  in which case: I hope you totally fall in love with someone like Robert Pattinson's character in Water for Elephants because that movie made.me.a.fan (shhh...let me have this.). You go, girl.

  • Stay in a color scheme that has common ground. Don't throw your pastels with your neons. Or fall themes with bright, crazy summer themes. Find a balance and work with it. Sometimes it takes some tweaking. 


  • Tame your other pieces. What I mean by that is if you are working with multiple prints, try solid tights, safe colored shoes, and/or a cardigan. If you want to just be super duper bright, then you do you. I promise I won't judge. 

  • You can't go wrong with stripes and floral. This is just my opinion.
So here is what I did with the items above for school today. And until I can get a working tripod and some warmer temps...this is pretty much how any outfit posts are going to be shot. #quality 

I bought this dress and cardigan when I was on my honeymoon in Dublin. It wasn't until we got home that I realized the two pieces worked really well together. 

It was suuuuuuper cold today, so instead of a coat, I wore a poncho that shared some of the same colors as the birds' feathers. See...tying it all together. It makes it work. High five, self!


And then I toned down the rest of the outfit with brown tights and tan clogs. 


So, maybe mixing prints isn't for you, maybe it is, but I think it is a great way to add character to an outfit. And if done correctly, it will be a slamming ensemble. ;)

xoxo,
Mrs. Ring

No comments:

Post a Comment