Pages

08 January 2014

beginnings and endings and in between

After years of thinking about it, I decided to finally create a blog devoted to things I adore, namely fashion. I have been sorely needing a creative outlet, and I think this will be something fun for me to pour a bit of myself into, so I finally made a new years goal. I anticipate all that is to happen in 2014 but before I do that, I wanted to reflect a bit on 2013. It was precious, precious year for me. A new husband, a new name. I will only look on 2013 with the kindest of thoughts. I found a New Years survey online and thought it would be fun to record some of the big things that happened to me on this newborn blog of mine. Hopefully I will keep this up and have something nice to say next year, too.

 1. What did you do for your birthday? This year I spent the whole day with my husband. He sleeps later than I do, due to his schedule but I had the day off because it was the first day of our school's Thanksgiving Break. That morning, I snuggled with coffee and had Netflix to myself and later Heath and I went to Chuy's. We had the greatest server who snuck in a piece of Tres Leches on the house. Later that night, Heath and I shared it on the couch. It was such a refreshing day.


2. What are your strongest memories from this year, and why? I got to do some lovely traveling this year. I went on my honeymoon with Heath: London, Paris, and Dublin. Walking through the streets of the cities with Heath was definitely the highlight. Seeing his reaction to all of the amazing places we visited was worth it all. The lowpoint would have to be getting stranded in London sans clean clothes, sans bags, and waiting in the longest line of.my.life to get a plane ride home (That is an entire blog post in and of itself, y'all).

3. What did you do this year that you had never done before?
I tried my hand at making more homecooked meals. I branched out and it was entirely too much fun making meals for Heath and me. Before him, I ate out a lot because cooking for one is downright depressing
.
I threw a baby shower for my friend Laura and her family. It was so fun, and I loved making food and the invitations!

Longing for Paris, I made macarons for my friend Julie's birthday. They turned out pretty well; they are such pretty, fickle little dudes. :)


4. What did you want and get?
Intimacy. I prayed for someone I could just be with. To exist with, together. Someone who could see all the ugly that comes with me and still want to have me close by. A person who could just sit with me and be the best comfort around. And boy, does Husband fit that bill.


5. What did you want and not get?
A thigh gap ;)
#thestruggle

6. What would you like to have next year that you didn't have this year?
A new job for Heath that lets him live with me ALL. THE. TIME.
ALL OF IT (amen).

7. Did you keep your resolutions for last year and will you have more for this year?
My goal for last year was to be content, and I dare say, I did pretty well with this one.
My goals for this year, along with this blog, are:
-to be present, put down my phone all day on Sundays and any time I am with my husband or family/friends
-eat more green foods
-take a walk every day, for my mental health more than my physical health.
-more real photos
-handwritten letters as a mode of communication

8. What is your biggest achievement this year?
I feel a lot more content in my adult life than I ever have. That is a huge victory for me.

9. What was your biggest failure?
I can't recall one big massive failure. But sometimes the day-to-day failures feel pretty massive. Lashing out on my husband for things that weren't his fault. The days I just didn't feel like being at school. Being late.

10. What did you rely on when you were overwhelmed?
That sweet hunk of mine, long talks with my mother, compassionate friends, promises from a loving Savior, and power naps.

11. What song will remind you of this year?
"Postcards from Italy" by Beirut
It just reminds me of my marriage, and I could listen to that velvety voice any day of the week.

12. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"hey, lets cross the sea and get some culture."

...for obvious reasons.
"absinthe party at the fly honey warehouse" by minus the bear.

13. What was your most enjoyable purchase?
Without a doubt, it was tacking on Paris to our honeymoon with train tickets for two. That was a purchase I never doubted.

14. Did you travel this year? If so, where?
DID I TRAVEL? I DON'T KNOW IF I MENTIONED IT YET.
haha. 2 trips to Paris, 1 trip to London, and 1 trip to Dublin. Ah, I am so ready to go back! :)







15. What do you wish you had done more of?
Time spent with family. Weekends were reserved for my family before marrying Heath but after we got married, weekends were our main source of time together. Finding a balance was a lot harder than I thought it would be.

16. What do you wish you had done less of?
Staying up late and getting sucked into Netflix.
Though, I have to say, I'm not sorry. ;)

17. Compared to this time last year, how are you different?
I would like to say I am a lot more at peace than I was last year. I am not as restless and I am learning to manage things better all around. A big thing I have learned is that admitting I cannot do things alone anymore is not a failure but a sweet thing in life. Also, I think I may be an introvert who is disguised as an extrovert.


18. How are you the same?
I am still a hot mess and the most unorganized person I know. But I still have a big heart! :)

19. What is a life lesson you learned this year?
It takes an effort to maintain relationships, friends and the likes. Reaching out is the hard part but staying there is really grand.

20. Would you relive 2013 if you could?
Without a doubt, absolutely.

xoxo,
Mrs. Ring

4 comments:

  1. Good post, Jordan.

    I really enjoy reading what you write, so I hope you DO post a lot this year...especially if it's about your style, which I also love. Ok I'm done fan-girling. Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, darling. I appreciate your support. I am hoping this will be just the creative outlet I have been looking for. xo

      Delete
  2. That blackberry cake OMG take me back...<3

    I love you my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, I feel you. TAKE ME BACK.
      I love you, too, sweets.

      Delete